With the start of spring term just around the corner, we thought instructors might appreciate some tips to make the most of Canvas and help get off to a smooth start.
- Create your courses in Canvas. Why wait? Most courses will be available for you within Canvas immediately.
- Publish your course. Students can’t see your course until you publish it.
- Review the latest updates made to Canvas - Note that Canvas has enabled the enhanced gradebook by default.
- Attend a Canvas training. We have several introductory Canvas classes, grading and quiz trainings, and workshops on maximizing student engagement and collaboration. In addition to the live scheduled sessions, many of the trainings are available as on-demand videos that you can watch when you need them.
- Review these student-centered course design tips as you build your course.
- Consider using iClicker to engage your students in class. Register for training or find more information at the CUClickers website.
- Verify TA Enrollment. TAs are generally added to your Canvas course automatically. You can also add TAs using their email address, IdentiKey login name, or Student ID. Ensure that your TAs are enrolled in the correct sections. TAs can only view student data, such as grades, dropbox assignments, etc., for the sections they are enrolled in.
- Add Classroom Capture videos to the Canvas navigation bar. After requesting Classroom Capture recording you will be sent a video channel URL. Follow these instructions to add the video channel URL to your Canvas course navigation bar.
- Access Zoom directly from Canvas. Instructors and students can efficiently perform most Zoom functions from inside Canvas, including scheduling meetings, viewing upcoming meetings, accessing cloud recordings and other Zoom functions.
- Zoom - New Features Spring 2024! (Visit OIT Zoom page for additional information)
- Review the Canvas Accessibility page, and take advantage of campus services like SensusAccess, to make your content accessible.
- Visit the Start of Term Canvas FAQ for answers to common questions.
- Take advantage of our Canvas support resources.
- Check out the Canvas Quick Reference Guide from OIT’s Academic Technology Consultants.
Need assistance? Please contact the IT Service Center at email@example.com or call 303-735-4357.
Have a great semester!