Proctorio is being provided to all instructors for exam proctoring. Proctorio enables instructors to utilize machine learning and facial detection technology to remotely proctor exams to help discourage cheating. Proctorio scans a student’s ID and face, and then uses Canvas to verify the student’s identity. Then, Proctorio captures audio, motion, and systemic changes while the student takes their exam to identify suspicious behaviors. Additional features include:
- Customizing the rules for each exam, including exempting individual students from using Proctorio
- Flagging suspicious behavior for subsequent review by the instructor to determine if cheating has occurred
Should I use Proctorio?
Proctorio allows students to complete an assessment at a remote location, such as their home, while helping to ensure the integrity of the exam. It provides a degree of assurance that test-takers are the individuals they claim to be, while significantly deterring misconduct.
While there are benefits to using Proctorio as we teach and learn remotely, it is important to consider whether Proctorio is appropriate to use for your exam. Learning remotely, in addition to taking exams remotely, has caused added stress on students. Introducing a new technology, which some find invasive, as a part of exams may add to this stress. OIT is hosting several Proctorio training sessions to show faculty how to effectively use this service.
Proctorio is not accessible to individuals who are blind, low vision, use the keyboard only, and some individuals who have difficulty with mobility. Learn more about limitations to this service as well as alternative recommendations on the Proctorio Accessibility page.
Who can get it?
This service is available to all faculty and students at CU Boulder.
- Review OIT's Proctorio instructor tutorials:
- Attend a training to learn how to use Proctorio
- Visit the Proctorio Instructor FAQ page for additional guidance
- Use OIT's Sample Syllabus Statement to inform students of your plan to use Proctorio
Proctorio is a common-good service to the campus, which means there is no direct cost to you or your department.
Proctorio System Requirements
Proctorio is a resource intensive application. Please make sure you and your students review the Proctorio Minimum System Requirements before attempting to take a Proctorio-Canvas quiz.
Important: Before staring a Proctorio quiz be sure to close all other applications and unnecessary browser tabs.
- Proctorio provides 24/7 support online at firstname.lastname@example.org, via chat, or by phone at 480-428-4089 or 1-866-948-9248.
- Proctorio publishes information about issues users may have (e.g., slowness, outages). You can access this information on their Website Uptime page.
- Attend one of OIT's Proctorio training sessions to learn first-hand about this service.
- Contact the IT Service Center for additional assistance at email@example.com or 303-735-4357.