Update: Kaltura will no longer be available after December 2024.
OIT is currently evaluating our existing video platform, Canvas Studio, as a replacement of Kaltura. While this is in progress, Kaltura will continue to be supported as the current campus video platform. Please check this page for future updates on the status of this transition or contact OIT at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
How Kaltura is used
Kaltura is integrated within Canvas, CU Boulder's learning management systems. The integration allows instructors and students to upload video and audio files into their Canvas courses for sharing. Visit the pages below for more information:
Kaltura Management Console
CU Boulder departments or groups that need advanced control over their hosted media can work with OIT to gain access to the Kaltura Management Console (KMC). This web-based interface provides delegated management of content to individuals within colleges, schools, departments and groups, including group based delegated administration to allow multiple people to share the management of the organization's content. Learn more.
Request Video Captioning
To request captioning assistance or receive further guidance on captioning policy, please visit the campus captioning service website or contact the IT Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-735-4357.
Digitization Services & Streaming Media
The University Libraries offer access to digitized items from our collections as well as digitization services to reformat analog and digital media. Please refer to Norlin Library's Digitization Services & Streaming Media webpage for more information.
While there are a number of long term storage options that you can use to store your videos, OIT recommends utilizing CU Boulder's OneDrive instance which provides 5 TB of free storage with 150 GB maximum individual file size (Please note: this is subject to change based on Microsoft's recent announcement about a move toward pooled storage).
When considering long term storage options, remember to obey all state and federal laws related to using copyrighted materials. Read more about copyright and fair use.
- Hosted streaming content with a third party service.
- Provides capabilities to colleges, schools, departments, and groups uploading content, editing and managing rich media content.
- Provides delegated management of the content to individuals within colleges, schools, departments and groups, including group based delegated administration to allow multiple people to share the management of the organizations content.
- Provides alternate sources to upload media.
*Note: The Kaltura service is for media that is being used on a regular basis by a course or for active collaboration, not for long term storage or archival. Inactive files will be subject to removal.
- A robust, reliable location to host rich media content.
- Content available through a colorado.edu address.
- A “common good” service which decreases organizational infrastructure costs, reduces administrative overhead costs, and provides an environment aligned with technology and information security standards.
- Does not affect Canvas course storage limit
The hosting service is a common good service for the campus and there is no cost to take advantage of it.
Who can get it
Faculty, staff, and students.