iClicker Cloud is a polling software that enables students to participate in classes and answer questions provided by instructors. iClicker Cloud can also be used to poll remote students as well as students in the classroom. It integrates with Canvas, enabling students to link their iClicker remotes directly to their Canvas courses. The software is free for instructors to use, and works with student iClickers as well as the iClicker Student App.
iClicker Student App
The iClicker Student App (formerly iClicker Reef) is a learning software that students can use in conjunction with an iClicker remote to answer questions in class and review those questions outside of class. It can also be used in remote learning situations, as an app on a phone or tablet, or via a web browser. iClicker’s remote polling feature is free for students to use for University of Colorado Boulder classes. All students using clickers should log in to their CU-provided account and register their iClicker to their account.
iClicker Mobile Polling
In 2020, OIT enabled the iClicker polling app so students learning in synchronous remote settings could participate in live polling in class. Starting fall 2021, the iClicker mobile polling app is available for students and faculty to use in on campus classrooms, not just in a remote or hybrid setting. However, one factor may affect the functionality of the app in your classroom: the campus wireless network.
Campus wifi, while sufficient for many tasks, may not have the capacity to manage the number of simultaneous connections necessary for timely polling in a large classroom. Even in some smaller classrooms, a sufficiently robust connection may not be available. Furthermore, there is some hesitation among instructors who are concerned that mobile device use in the classroom could be detrimental to their students’ learning outcomes. You can learn more about wireless and clicker use on our Wireless Considerations page, and see if your classroom is rated for clicker use on our Classroom Frequency and Wireless Ratings page.
- Can be used for remote learning, hybrid, and in-person classes.
- Base stations are available in classrooms and large lecture halls with more than 40 seats or can be checked out from the Norlin Library circulation desk for use in rooms where not already deployed.
- Students register iClicker remotes with their IdentiKeys through the iClicker Student app, enabling instructors to gather accurate data on responses.
- Improves student learning when used according to best practices.
- Most departmental rooms have bases and frequencies, and OIT will deploy a base to any room with greater than 40 seats upon request.
iClicker infrastructure is provided as a common-good to the campus which means there is no direct cost to you or your department. Student iClicker remotes are available for purchase at the CU Bookstore and subscriptions to the iClicker Student App are currently free for CU classes.
How to get it
Faculty and Staff
- Download iClicker Cloud software from OIT's website.
- If needed, Check out a base station from Norlin Library or an instructor clicker from OIT.
- Visit the classroom frequency assignments page to set your base frequency.
- Visit the iClickers Instructor Resources page for additional assistance.
- Create an iClicker Student account
- Purchase CUClicker remotes at the CU Bookstore .
- A limited number of student CUClicker remotes will be available for semester checkout on the first day of classes from the Norlin Commons Service Desk on a first-come, first served basis.
- Visit the iClickers Student Resources page for additional assistance.
Help & Support
A variety of data types are utilized by the University of Colorado in order to facilitate the academic experience and advance the success of the student body. In an effort to promote good digital citizenship, CU Boulder has created a resource for our student and faculty communities to better understand how personal data from our students is used within OIT’s services and tools.