Microsoft Office 365 is a cloud-based suite of solutions that includes Exchange Online as the email and calendaring environment, as well as collaborative office applications such as Office Web Apps, Office desktop applications, Power BI, SharePoint, Teams and Microsoft Stream.
New Login Process: Multi-Factor Authentication
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) increases account security by requiring multiple forms of verification to prove your identity when signing into an application. CU Boulder faculty, students, and staff can now securely log in and use Office 365 with MFA. Interested in opting in to use MFA? Enroll now using this simple webform.
When registering for MFA, register a phone number to receive a text message or phone call. After registering with a phone, you can install the Microsoft Authenticator Mobile App which allows you to click a button on your phone or smart watch to quickly and easily login.
Upon your next login to Office 365, you will be prompted to register for multi-factor authentication (e.g. screenshot at right). Click Login using Phone Authentication below for step-by-step instructions for registering. For additional information, please see our Multi-Factor Authentication FAQ.
Login using Phone Authentication
OIT recommends registering a phone number before registering the mobile app. When prompted to register for MFA, click Next.
Please note: Once you are invited to use MFA you will have 14 days to register.
Select Authentication phone from the drop down menu and enter your personal mobile phone number. Then choose to receive a code via text message and click Next.
Please note: There is also an option to receive a code via phone call, however, it is not recommended for most users. During testing, OIT found that users misheard the code given or missed calls altogether, wheras text messages did not present the same issues.
Enter the code you receive to authenticate and click Verify.
The verification process will finish and log you in to Office 365. You now have the option to download and use the Microsoft Authenticator App for future authentication.
Please note: After your account is enabled for MFA you may be prompted to re-authenticate to multiple Office 365 servers (e.g. Teams, Outlook, etc.).
Office 365 Login
Access your Office 365 online applications with a combination of your CULoginName@colorado.edu and IdentiKey password. Please note: only CULoginName@colorado.edu will work for accessing Office 365 applications, not the common preferred email address format of firstname.lastname@example.org (as shown below).
What applications do I receive?
All faculty, staff, and students (alumni are currently excluded) receive the following applications during the initial implementation of Office 365 on the CU Boulder campus:
Office 365's public-facing scheduling tool
Email, shared calendars and contacts, and tasks
Collaborate with Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote online
Desktop and mobile versions of Microsoft Office 365 Apps
Online file storage (5 TB capacity)
Data visualization that connects multiple types of data sources
Web content creation, document management and collaboration
Messaging and collaboration app, in browser and desktop versions available
Online portal used to post and stream videos within specific organizations or groups
Additional Office 365 online applications including OneNote, To-Do and more
- Mobility: Work from virtually anywhere using trusted Office applications across your favorite devices--PCs, Macs, and mobile devices--and seamlessly move and work with your Office documents locally on your device or in the online environment.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with teammates, partners, and customers with documents that are always up to date and accessible from almost anywhere.
- Communication: Microsoft Teams serves your communication needs, making it easy to see when someone is available, connect via instant message, audio or video calls and host online meetings.
- Content Management: SharePoint Online makes it easy to set up and manage online communities, wikis and blogs, make customized forms and create and manage content and documents.
- Exchange Online: Access email and calendars on the go and keep everyone in sync with enterprise-grade email and shared calendars. And, move up to 50 GB quotas.
- Free Software: The Office 365 Apps program allows current CU Boulder faculty, staff and students to download the latest versions of Microsoft Office software at no cost.
Who can get it
|Affiliation||What apps you receive|
|Faculty & Staff||Office Online, One Drive for Business, Power BI, SharePoint, Skype for Business, Exchange Online, Microsoft Stream, Teams and To-Do List.|
|Students & Retirees||Office Online, One Drive for Business, Power BI, SharePoint, Skype for Business, Microsoft Stream, and Teams.|
The Office of Information Technology follows CU’s Retention of University Records policy APS 2006 to ensure that university records are retained and disposed of in accordance with federal and state laws. Office 365 is in compliance with these standards. For more information visit: