Kaltura is a media service accessed through Canvas as “My Media” or “Kaltura Media Gallery”. Users can also access My Media in the Rich Content Editor toolbar under “More External Tools” > “Embed Kaltura Media”.
Kaltura Accessibility Status
Kaltura’s integration into Canvas has a few severe or significant accessibility issues. Generally users should be able to utilize player controls, but video editing and management controls may not accessible to all individuals using assistive technology. Kaltura’s in-video quiz tool has severe accessibility issues and should be avoided for use in course content.
Statements on this page about the accessibility of Kaltura’s software are based on accessibility testing done most recently in January 2018 and may no longer represent the current status of the software.
Information for Media Creators
Please consult the Creating Accessible Videos resource for guidance on creating accessible video content. Recommendations include adding closed captioning, describing all visual content in the audio, and providing adequate color contrast for text content.
Avoid using the Kaltura in-video quiz tool; PlayPosit is a recommended OIT-supported in-video quiz service that is more accessible.
Information for Media Consumers
Information for Screen Reader Users
- JAWS and VoiceOver users may not be able to adjust the player volume incrementally.
- When using the Select button to embed a video into the Rich Content Editor, some screen reader / browser combinations may only hear “Select”, and not hear “Select video name”.
- Workaround: If the Select buttons do not read out the name of the video that is being added, you should know that each Select button applies to the previous video title in the page order.
Video Management & Browsing
- Edit and delete icons for each video in the My Media video list cannot be navigated to by some screen readers.
- Workaround: Navigate to the video player page for the video by selecting the link embedded in the name of the video, and edit or delete the video using the Actions menu.
- Likes, views, and comments icons are not read by screen readers for each video listed in Media Gallery. That information is available on the video player page, but may not have adequate labeling in that location.
Editing & Uploading Videos
- During media upload, a progress bar is provided visually but screen readers are not alerted to its presence.
Information for Screen Magnifier Users
In My Media, users should be aware that light grey video edit and delete buttons are located on the far right side of the screen, as they are easily missed.
Vendor Accessibility Documentation
Get Help or Provide Feedback
OIT has partnered with Disability Services to provide assistance for accessibility issues related to OIT supported services and we want to hear from you about this service. If you need assistance using this service or you have more information about the accessibility of this service that we should share with others, please contact the IT Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 303-735-4357.