SharePoint Online provides a number of site templates to simplify site creation for a variety of functions. One of the most commonly used SharePoint site templates is the Team site. A SharePoint team site is a template which can be used to create a site for a group to collaborate on a project. The site is designed to help teams quickly share and collaborate on information related to a project, track tasks and keep the team up to date on meetings, announcements and contacts.
Requesting a Team site in SharePoint Online
To request a team site in SharePoint Online, submit the Sharepoint Site Request form on the OIT Messaging and Collaboration Request Portal. This form can be submitted by faculty and staff only. Students and other affiliates should contact the IT Service Center for assistance. You will be asked to provide the following information:
- The name and CULoginName of the primary site administrator who will be responsible to managing the SharePoint site
- The name and CULoginName of a backup site administrator who will have backup responsibility for managing the SharePoint site
- A descriptive display name for the Team site
- Please indicate if you are interested in a SharePoint consult to assist in getting started with your SharePoint Online team site
An OIT specialist will create the SharePoint Online site and get in touch with you once it's created.
Available templates for new sites
The most common site templates are Team site for collaboration and Publishing site for Intranet sites. However, additional Microsoft provided templates are also available when requesting a new SharePoint online site collection.
- Sample SharePoint Site
- University of Colorado Boulder SharePoint User group (SPUG) - a group on campus which meets once a month for lunch and learn sessions. Topics are related to how individuals, groups and departments are currently using SharePoint. Learn more by contacting OIT's Sr. Messaging and Collaboration System Administrator, Tim Crean.
- Learn your way around a SharePoint team site