- Provides an extra layer of protection from phishing and spam for our campus.
- Microsoft Defender Quarantine empowers end users to release messages they previously would not have seen.
- Users have control over their own safe senders and blocked senders lists that can be edited at any time.
Who can get it
OIT is currently running a pilot of this feature for a limited number of departments. We expect to enable this feature campuswide on June 6, 2023.
How to check quarantined emails
- Go to https://security.microsoft.com/quarantine and login with your IdentiKey username and password. Please note: You can also release or block emails directly from a Quarantine notification email message.
- Review the list of emails that have been quarantined.
- Click Release to move the email to your mailbox.
- Click delete to remove the message from your quarantine.
The deleted items folder retention period is 30 days. After that, messages are automatically removed from the folder. Items that have been automatically removed from the Deleted Items folder are retained for 30 days before being permanently deleted.
Interested in more detail and screenshots of this process? Visit the Microsoft Defender Quarantine - Release and delete emails tutorial.
Add a user to your Safe or blocked senders list
- Log in to your Outlook Web Account, click on the Settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click View all Outlook settings
- Select Mail, then Junk email
- From this menu you can search, add, and delete users from your Safe Senders list. It's also recommended to review your Blocked Senders list regularly to ensure that no legitimate emails are being blocked.
Interested in more detail and screenshots of this process? Visit the Microsoft Defender Quarantine - Edit your Safe and Blocked senders list tutorial.
Help & Support
- Visit the Quarantine FAQ for more information and background about this feature.
- Learn more about the Mail Security upgrade project.
- If you have any questions or concerns about Microsoft Defender Quarantine, please contact the IT Service Center at 303-735-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org.