- Tableau Desktop is data visualization software. Connect to a variety of data sources and start visualizing data in minutes.
- Tableau Prep Builder is a tool in the Tableau product suite that makes preparing your data easy and intuitive.
- Visit Tableau Academic Programs to learn about available Academic Programs.
There is no fee to departments, faculty, staff, researchers, and students for academic (i.e., specifically used for teaching and learning purposes) or research (i.e., non-administrative and not for profit) uses of Tableau Desktop and Prep Builder. You will receive a one-year subscription license that can be renewed annually if you have a current and qualifying university affiliation.
The non-academic use of Tableau software, such as use in a department or business office or for-profit scenarios, is prohibited under the free academic license. If you require Tableau Software for non-academic (administrative or for-profit) purposes, please see the Non-Academic Use section below.
How to get it
Students can request their license at Tableau for Students. A proof of affiliation, such as a copy of your student ID card, a transcript showing your current enrollment, or other school-issued document showing your name and affiliation, will be required.
Instructors and Researchers
Instructors can request an individual license or course software at Tableau for Teaching. A valid *.edu email address and link to your academic online profile or other proof of affiliation will be required.
The Tableau Creator license is for non-academic (administrative) use; this is a Tableau developer license that allows the user to connect to data and build dashboards and reports. The cost is $630 per year for one user. An additional discount is available for bulk purchases (minimum 15). Contact CU’s Tableau representative for quotes or more information.
For other general questions about CU’s Tableau licensing, contact CU’s Tableau representative, CU's Tableau representative, Adam Breen (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Crystal DiCino, PSC (email@example.com).
CU System (UIS) provides access to Tableau Server, an enterprise server platform. For information please see the UIS Tableau Server website.
Documentation and support
- Visit Tableau's Technical Specifications information to ensure software is compatible with your computer.
- Contact Tableau Support directly for training, support, and troubleshooting.