Microsoft Power BI is a data visualization tool that allows users to connect multiple types of data sources to create reports that can be exported and shared with other users. Power BI is backed by Office 365 advanced security and compliance capabilities.
Use Power BI to:
- Connect to 70+ data sources
- Export reports to PowerPoint, Excel, PDF and CSV
- Share Power BI reports in Power BI or Microsoft Teams (Please note: due to licensing this feature is only available to faculty and staff)
Who can get it
- Microsoft Power BI free version is available at no cost to all eligible CU Boulder faculty, staff and current students.
- Microsoft Power BI Pro version is available to employees (faculty and staff) who have specific HR appointments that correspond to what is collectively known as "knowledge workers", or employees who need a computer to perform their work.
- Faculty (excluding Faculty Emeritus) and staff who retire from the university will lose access to Power BI upon retirement. For additional information about what happens to your account after graduation or leaving the university, visit the Office 365 Apps FAQ page.
Please note: The Power BI Free license version has some limitations compared to Power BI Pro. Learn more about the differences in features. A free user license for the Power BI service is perfect for someone exploring or using it for personal data analysis and visualizations using My workspace. A free standalone user cannot use Power BI to collaborate with colleagues within the Power BI app, although they can share a visualization as PDF or PowerPoint slide.
How to get it
Access Power BI by logging into Office 365 and finding the app in the app launcher, or directly login to Power BI with your Office 365 credentials (firstname.lastname@example.org and password).
Power BI can also be used with the free Power BI Desktop application. Download for free from Microsoft.
If you require the features of Power BI Pro, visit OIT’s OnTheHub Software Ordering page for more information and instructions.