Enabling the Outlook Built-In Spam Filter
- Open Outlook, and select the Mail Navigation Pane from the bottom left corner.
- Click on the Tools drop-down menu, and select Options.
- In the Options dialogue box, in the Email section, select Junk Email..., as shown below:
- In the window that opens, choose the level of junk email message protection you want and click OK.
Customizing Junk Email Handling
You can customize the junk email filtering of Outlook 2007 in the following categories:
Safe Senders List
If an email message is mistakenly marked as a junk email message by the filter, you can easily add the sender of that message to your Safe Senders List. Email addresses and domain names on the Safe Senders List are never treated as junk email messages, regardless of the content of the message. Contacts are trusted by default and messages from them will never be treated as junk email messages. You can configure Outlook 2007 to accept only messages from the Safe Senders List, giving you total control over which messages you receive.
Safe Recipients Lists
An emailing list or group that you are a member of can be added to your Safe Recipients Lists. Any messages sent to the email addresses or domain names on this list will not be treated as junk email messages, regardless of the sender or content of the message.
To add a sender to your Safe Senders List or Safe Recipients Lists:
- Right-click on a message from the sender.
- Select Junk Email, and click either Add Sender to Safe Senders List or Add Recipient to Safe Recipients Lists.
Customizing a Message Filter
If you need to handle a specific type of email message in a special way, you may want to customize some message filters on Outlook. The instructions below describe how to use this feature in conjunction with the University of Colorado at Boulder spam-tagging service. This will ensure that messages tagged as "POTENTIAL SPAM" by the CU Boulder spam-tagging service will be placed in your junk mail folder.
- Open Outlook and select the Mail Navigation Pane from the bottom left corner.
- Click on the Tools drop down menu and select Rules and Alerts . . .
- In the window that opens, click on the New Rule... button.
- In the Rules Wizard dialogue box, under Step 1: Select a template, select Move messages with specific words in the subject to a folder, as shown below:
- Under Step 2, click on the blue, underlined phrase, specific words, as shown below:
- In the window that opens, type the words Potential Spam in the text box at the top.
- Click Add.
- The new search criterea will appear under Search list:. Click OK.
- Under Step 2, click the blue, underlined word, specified, as shown below:
- Select Junk Email and click OK.
- Click Finish.
- Click OK to enable this rule for all future mail handling, as shown below:
- Future mail that is tagged as "POTENTIAL SPAM" will be moved to your junk mail folder. Check your junk mail folder periodically to ensure that no legitimate messages were accidentally marked as junk mail.