CUClickers Instructor Onboarding
What is iClicker?
iClicker is a tool for student engagement. It is a polling software you can use to promote active learning by conducting live polls in your class, and assess your students’ understanding of the material with formative assessment questions. iClicker Cloud can be used to poll remote students as well as students in the classroom. It integrates with Canvas, enabling students to link their iClicker remotes directly to your Canvas course. The software is free for instructors to use, and works with student iClickers as well as the iClicker Student App.
Getting started with iClickers
Using the iClicker service will help you engage your students and make your class more interactive. However, you must plan accordingly, and practice if you want to be successful. OIT offers training sessions on iClicker at the start of every semester. It’s a good idea to attend one if you are new to iClicker. Understanding how the system works and why you are using it is vital to your students’ success. Devoting class time over the first few days of class makes all the difference.
- Download and install iClicker Cloud software. On a Windows machine, extract the zip files to a location on your computer. On a Mac, drag the software into the Applications folder. (iClicker Cloud is not available for Linux)
- Create an iClicker Cloud account. Choose a password that you will remember and can be entered quickly if you need to do it in class. This video tutorial shows the account creation process.
- Create a class andand set registration to invite only (ensures students use their CUClicker accounts).
- Determine if you can use mobile polling. If not, inform your students they will need to bring an iClicker to class. iClickers can be purchased from the CU Bookstore.
- Decide if you are using iClicker to ask questions or simply for attendance.
- Modify the settings for your course. Set the classroom remote code, choose if you want to assign points for participation, accuracy, or both. Save your settings before setting up Canvas integration.
- Rename your course in Canvas, adding the year/semester to the title (Summer 2024, Fall 2019, etc).
- Set up Roster and Grade Sync with Canvas and sync your roster.
- Prepare to onboard your students using our guide.
- Create a test course, and try running a test class either in your classroom, or in your office.
- Want to practice with a base station? Check one out from Norlin Library.
- Set up Canvas to receive iClicker grades.
Use the following syllabus examples to inform your students about the use of Clickers in your class:
Rooms with a Fair or Poor wireless rating (no mobile polling)
If you are teaching in one of the classrooms rated as Fair or Poor, OIT recommends that you limit your students to using physical clickers, rather than permitting mobile polling. It is simple to change the settings in iClicker Cloud to moderate this. This statement is available for you to copy and paste into your syllabus:
We will be using iClicker to enhance active learning and participation in this course. Unfortunately, the space we are in has insufficient wifi for the entire class to reliably use iClicker mobile polling on your personal devices. Therefore, you will need to obtain an iClicker + remote for use in class. You may be able to check one out from the Norlin circulation desk for the semester, on a first-come, first-served basis. You will also need to have an iClicker student app account, and register your clicker there. You will not be able to use the iClicker student app to vote in class.
Rooms with a Fair or Poor wireless rating (permitting mobile polling)
If you decide you’d like to permit mobile polling and will be teaching in a room with a fair or poor wireless rating, we recommend sharing the following statement with your students:
We will be using iClicker to enhance active learning and participation in my course, and our classroom has limited wifi capabilities. Therefore, I recommend you purchase and use an iClicker + for class. You may even be able to check one out from the Norlin circulation desk for the semester, on a first-come, first-served basis. If you choose to use the iClicker student app on your phone or computer, keep in mind that you may experience connection issues, and I cannot be held responsible for any points lost due to this fact. You will need to have an iClicker student app account, register your clicker there, and download and set up the app BEFORE you get to class.
Rooms with a Good or Excellent wireless rating (permitting mobile polling)
If you decide you’d like to permit mobile polling and will be teaching in a room with a good or excellent wireless rating, we recommend sharing the following statement with your students:
We will be using iClicker to enhance active learning and participation in my course. You will need to have an iClicker student app account, register your clicker there, and download and set up the app BEFORE you get to class.
For real-time remote classes
This class utilizes the iClicker system to enhance learning and reward participation in class discussions. You can not use a physical iClicker to participate in class activities. Instead, you will need to create an iClicker Student account and use it on your mobile device (phone or tablet app, or via a computer web browser) to participate in class activities. Make sure you are using the account linked to your CU email account. You can check this by logging out of all your iClicker accounts on all mobile devices you may be using. Then, log back in, using the iClicker Campus Portal option at the bottom of the registration page.
You will not need to purchase an iClicker Student subscription to use mobile polling for Fall 2021. Using the student app, you can review questions asked in class, how you answered them, what your current iClicker score is, and many other features.
If you are looking for ways to effectively incorporate clickers into your classroom, including best practices, how to write clicker questions and much more, please visit the Instructor Pedagogical Resources page.